Insights in Recovery: A consumer-informed guide for health practitioners working with people with eating disorders was developed by the Butterfly Foundation with funding from the Mental Health Commission of NSW. The resource provides guidance for health professionals of all kinds on how to adopt a person-centred, recovery-orientated approach to working with people with anorexia, bulimia and other eating disorders. It was developed by researchers based on feedback they gathered from people with lived experience of eating disorders on what helped and hindered their recovery.
The recommendations in the Guide include:
* Establish a shared understanding of recovery
* Help individuals talk about their eating disorder
* Help individuals feel safe
* Use mindful language
* Help individuals find their identity beyond the eating disorder
* Integrate choice into treatment decisions
* Encourage the use of healthy supports in everyday life
* Listen and incorporate the perspectives of those with lived experience
About the guide.