During the workshop, a set of draft breastfeeding indicators was discussed for suitability, stability, simplicity and measurability as core national breastfeeding indicators. After extensive discussion, the following set of indicators was agreed:
* proportion of children ever breastfed (for children aged 0-24 months)
* proportion of children breastfed at each month of age, 0-24 months
* proportion of children exclusively breastfed to each month of age, 0-6 months
* proportion of children predominantly breastfed to each month of age, 0-6 months
* proportion of children receiving soft/semi-solid/solid food at each month of age, 0-12 months
* proportion of children receiving non-human milk or formula at each month of age, 0-12 months.
This agreement on a set of indicators in no way implies commitment of resources to data collection and reporting. However, an agreed set of indicators does provide the platform for consistent collection and reporting should a decision be made to report on these.