Based on national and international movements towards patient-centred policies in health care, (and taking into account Australia's health care system, with its mix of public and private sectors), various recommendations are outlined:
* Patient-centred care should be considered a dimension of quality in its own right.
* Nationally standardised patient survey tools should be implemented.
* Patient surveys should include questions specifically addressing patient centred domains
* Performance-based payments should include "improving patient care experience" as an indicator
* Data regarding patient care experience in health services should be made publicly available on the Internet.