To address these issues, beyondblue has developed a national Doctors' Mental Health Program, in consultation with key stakeholders from the mental health and medical sectors.
The Advisory Committee's first activity was to oversee "The Mental Health of Doctors - A systematic literature review:" (Download from bottom of page) which investigated issues associated with the mental health of medical students and doctors. The review investigated the following 10 topic areas:
1) prevalence of anxiety and depression
2) prevalence of substance misuse and self-medication
3) suicide rates
4) risk factors for anxiety and depression
5) help-seeking rates for anxiety and depression
6) barriers to help-seeking for mental health care
7) interventions for anxiety and depression
8) attitudes of medical colleagues
9) impact on patient care
10) impact on work and family life.